My eyes! Parasites in....my contact lenses?!

Image result for parasites in contacts
Photo courtesy of Stacey Peoples
     Now there is not a doubt in my mind that after reading that title you are wondering what fresh hell I'm presenting you this week. Sometimes, while reading about and studying diseases it seems nothing is safe but rest assured that the human body is by far the best security system on the market with defenses in place to keep little nasties like parasites out of it. But every now and again, little buggers manage to slip through undetected. When this happens, our body explodes with defense mechanisms all striking at the same time because it isn't sure to how to properly defend itself agains the invader.

     Our eyes are a prime example of a location where invaders can work their magic and bypass our bodies natural security system and sometimes, we unintentionally help them out in their efforts. Take one of the 45 million people in the USA alone who wear contact lenses. Now these lenses themselves aren't the problem per se, but it's how we handle them that can sometimes be a detriment to our lives. This is because of those 45 million people, about 40-90% of them do not properly follow the instructions of their optometrists for the care of their lenses and as a result have an increased risk of not only eye disease but increased risk of a parasite residing in their eyes.

     Take the case of Nick Humphreys in the UK who wore contacts throughout the day. Where things went wrong was when he showered with his contacts still in his eyes and a few days later, Humphreys was blind in one of his eye. This blindness was the result of an infection called Acanthamoeba keratitis (AK) which is a protozoan parasite commonly found in soil and in water and isn't usually known to cause much damage except for when it gets in a hosts' eyes.

      Humphreys isn't the only one who has suffered from AK, in fact 85% of the AK cases occur in people who actively wear contact lenses throughout the day. In the case of AK, lenses can become contaminated by exposure through swimming, using a hot tub, or not properly caring for your contact lenses. This usually results in the growth of bacteria on the lenses onto which the amoebas attach and begin to eat. Once they eat through the lens they inevitably end up in the hosts eyeball where they begin their normal parasite processes. Once they're in, the symptoms include redness, blurred vision, light sensitivity and a general feeling of something in one's eye.

Acanthamoeba keratitis
     So what is the moral of the story? Please protect your contact lenses and as a result your eyeballs. There are very clear instructions laid out not only by your optometrists but also on the boxes and instructions for contact lenses and contact lens solution. Don't shower or swim in contacts and definitely don't clean contacts using tap water or anything else but the good, strong lens cleaning solution. It should also be noted that there are other parasites that can make it into the eye and do even more damage than AK. These include toxoplasmosis (another protozoan parasite), loiasis (caused by a helminth parasite), and onchocercaiasis (another helminth parasite carried by black flies).

     There are also ectoparasites (parasites that live on the surface of the body) that can do some damage around the eyes. These include pubic lice which can get lost and make their way up to the eyelashes and eyebrows. These cause some gross buildups of excrement and other debris in the eyelashes and can result in a loss of hair around the eyes. There is also the Demodex parasite which causes the loss of eyelashes, conjunctivitis and potentially decreased vision.



 As always, be safe and make good choices while living life. There are things out there that are trying their best to break in but luckily we have methods for combatting these creepy crawlies. Make sure you follow the directions and practice safe practices with contacts, this is one less creeper you have to worry about.   

















Comments

  1. I'm 15 years old. I was born with HIV my mother passed away because of the HIV infection And I regret why i never met Dr Itua he could have cured my mum for me because as a single mother it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr itua healing words online about how he cure different disease in different races diseases like HIV/Aids Herpes,Parkison,Asthma,Autism,Copd,Epilepsy,Shingles,Cold Sore,Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome, Lupus Cure,Fibromyalgia,Love Spell,Prostate Cancer,Lung Cancer,Glaucoma.,psoriasis,Cirrhosis of Liver, Cataracts,Macular degeneration, Chrons disease,Infectious mononucleosis.,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,psoriasis,Bipolar Disorder,Dementia.,Tach Disease,Breast Cancer,Blood Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Love Spell,Chronic Diarrhea,Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Stroke,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicitySyndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Weak Erection,Breast Enlargment,Penis Enlargment,Hpv,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria)Diabetes Hepatitis even Cancer I was so excited but frighten at same time because I haven't come across such thing article online then I contacted Dr Itua on Mail drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ . I also chat with him on what's app +2348149277967 he tells me how it works then I tell him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I receive my herbal medicine within 4/5 working days he gave me guild lines to follow and here am I living healthy again can imagine how god use men to manifest his works am I writing in all articles online to spread the god work of Dr Itua Herbal Medicine,He's a Great Man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Herpes is a serious and recurring disease that cannot be cured by drugs or injections by American doctors, but the best way to fight against herpes is to take natural herbal medicines for it, I read about DR JAMES, the great herbal doctor who cures me of herpes with his powerful herbal medicine. I contacted him to find out how he could help me and he told me never to worry that he would help me with his powerful herbal mix medicine! After 2 days of contact with him, he told me that the cure was ready and he sent it to me through DHL COURIER SERVICE and it got to me in 3 days ! I used the medication as directed (MORNING and EVENING) and I was cured! It's really like a dream but I'm so happy! for people suffering from the following diseases, Cancer, hypothyroidism, Herpes, COPD, HIV, Arthritis, Hpv, Infections, Liver disease, Autoimmune diseases, Parkinson's disease, Lupus and more should contact him for his herbal medicine because I am a living testimony and I was cured of herpes and his medicine is legitimate. I sent him what he asked for and he sent me his medication which I took for a good 3 weeks and today I am here with a negative result. When I went for the test, I'm so happy after taking his medication I'm so happy to share this testimony because i'm a living testimony that Dr James is a true herbal cure master
    CONTACT DR JAMES FOR YOUR  PERMANENT CURE EMAIL: drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com Whats App  +2348152855846

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your posts, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the excellent work. state of illinois certificate of child health examination

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Your Cats Inside: Bobcat Fever

Bloodsucking invaders: Is the devil you know better than the one you don't?